Nashville’s famous ball field began as Athletic Park in an area known as Sulphur Spring Bottom, where a grandstand was built in 1885 as a home for the Nashville Americans in the professional Southern League:
The stadium layout remained the same through 1908, when the ballpark was renamed Sulphur Dell. Upgrades to the bleachers and an expanded grandstand took place (street names where changed to numbered streets in 1904):
The most radical change occurred in 1927 when the wooden grandstand was demolished and a new steel-and-concrete structure was erected. However, it had been determined that the ballpark would be turned around so that batters would no longer face the sun to the southwest:
Although the 1927 home opener was a few weeks away, on March 25th the first contest was held in the new ‘turned-around’ Sulphur Dell, an exhibition game played between the Nashville Vols and Minneapolis Millers.
Sulphur Dell remained the same configuration until 1963 when it was longer used as a ballpark, and was demolished in 1969.
Images Courtesy Tennessee State Library & Archives (Note: Images not to scale)
Reference http://nashvillehistory.blogspot.com by Debie Oeser Cox
© 2015 by Skip Nipper. All Rights Reserved.